Friday, October 06, 2006

Where is the light at the tunnel ?

I have wrote a little about my job before. Now, I wanted to write a little bit more about my company. Things have not been going that well it seems. From the admin cum hr cum accounts cum receptionist colleague of mine, it seems that the amount of money available are not enough for next month salary. Now I was kind of prepared that this may happen in this small company of mine, I just never expected it to happen this soon.


And now, everyone is basically waiting for me to complete my piece of project so as to collect that little payment from another company. This means, I am under tremendous pressure to complete the project so that the company will live . . . . for another month?

Should I start activating my JobStreet again? I guess I should. All this that has happen really starts me thinking if I ever be able to find a company that I can grow with, a company that does not have to constantly struggles for its daily bread and butter.

My work experience

During interviews employers almost, always remark that I have never stayed at a job for more than 3 years. Now, I can truthfully answer to that question, but usually I don't. The fact is, the electronics design and development industry (D&D) in Selangor (or M'sia?) is never a thriving industry. The manufacturers here does not have the correct mentality when they decided to invest into D&D. They usually initiate or start a D&D arm for the wrong reason and with unrealistic expectations. Most of them have plenty of lofty ideas but at the same time unwilling to invest both time and money. Quite a number, especially those that are connected politically, applied for goverment grant as a means of cheating the gov money. Millions of these grant money are wasted by these GLC's for absolutely nothing. I know, cause I have, unwillingly, been part of such a company before. Imagine, the first 'Made in malaysia microcontroller' is actually made by both a singapore and indian company. Most organisations establishes these so called msc subsidiary as a means of tax evasion. No wonder, MSC is a failure.

My second company main reason to have a D&D was to get itself listed on the market. After 2 years of lack lustre performance and failed listing, down scaled and offered me a post in production instead.

And now my third company, which I have worked for less than 6 months.

I guess, people just overrated the market in Malaysia. Small scale D&D, yes. Some door access product, some house or car alarm are most probably the part time work of a daytime engineer.

but if you talk about D&D house, well, they usually starts with a bang and begins its exponential downslide a year or two later......it's just so typical!!!!!

I am seriously thinking of changing industry. I don't ask for much, just a stable job and income, and hopefully be able to get married within the next 2 years. Is that too much to ask for? Perhaps, if the world doesn't change, I will . . . .

Write me, if you have the time. I need some consolation here. . . . . badly. . .

words of encouragement will be welcome too. . .

1 anak ayam bother to comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not experienced in the working world (graduated only 5 years ago) so am not qualified to give advice... but I have been very confused about my career direction too and not sure what to do, so in a way I understand how you feel. I guess you're facing a tough dilemma because the D&D industry is very niche... would it be difficult for you to change industry? Is there anything else that you can imagine yourself doing or that you would like to do? This is a good place to start, if you are considering changing industry.

I can understand your disillusionment with the D&D industry, after what you described. In a way it describes what our whole country is like, doesn't it? It is so sad that there is so much potential going to waste.